This is a two year course targeted towards young actors (aged 9-12) who have strong acting ability and the capacity to work professionally in the industry and be cast in professional projects – national and international TV and film.
This course aims to bring younger actors who have demonstrated acting readiness, professional focus and emotional maturity, the industry skills they need to work at the professional level.
The actors will receive specialised training focusing on their individual strengths and areas to develop. The filmed outcome will be professional productions with an experienced crew that will be submitted to industry professionals for viewing and will go on IMDb.
If you know a young actor who displays these qualities, is passionate about the craft of acting and is eager to develop and hone their skills at industry level, please view the details below and submit an application.
Course Entry is by Application and Audition
Ages: 9 to 12yrs
Location: Filmbites HQ Studio, Unit 6, 31 Oxleigh Drive, Malaga.
Day: Wednesday evenings 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm (2.5 hours)
Dates: The start date will be Week 1 of Term 2 – Wednesday 26th April
Term Fees are $2400 / year. Payable per term.
*This price covers professional writers, crew and equipment for industry-level production and industry-level acting coaches.
“Working with the young actors from Filmbites’ Junior Professional Program over the last two years I have seen an undeniable progression in their understanding of character psychology, script interpretation and improved listening skills. The amount of growth the students underwent over a relatively short period to me shows early signs of a professional approach to craft. It’s clear that Filmbites provides a very contemporary teaching process that’s both exciting and accessible to young people, but relevant to performers at any level. Seeing the training result in some truly awe-inspiring performances that I’ve had the great pleasure of workshopping, I highly recommend the Junior Professional Program to anyone looking for a great kick-start experience in learning the art of screen acting”.
Cody Cameron-Brown – Director
The course involves guiding young actors in character and script work towards building, strengthening, and adding to their natural acting skills. Activities and exercises are tailored to the actors in the class to help them develop technique and build the stamina and flexibility needed for industry auditions and projects
Some areas of focus will include:
- Sharpening improvisation skills, listening, making offers, responses and choices
- Identifying storyline, character information, arcs, choices and actions in scripts
- Character development and understanding from text
- Deeper character development and understanding through improvisation
- Exploring with actions and choices
- Identifying individual habits and patterns of speech and playing with alternatives
- Exploring new ways of thinking and moving for characters
- Understanding and applying truthful and active listening
- Practicing with direction and redirection
Professional Film Production
Our Junior Professionals Course is two years and filmed outcomes include the following:
In Year One, actors work on and film showcase scenes with professional crew. Actors apply their skills to scripted scenes and build their character through rehearsal process and improvisation.
In Year Two, the actors work with a screenwriter to develop characters and explore story ideas that are developed into an original short film. Actors use their training to audition for roles. The actors work with an industry director and professional crew to make the film which is listed on IMDb.
The aims of the filmed productions are to yield high-level show-reel material as well as showcase the young talent to industry professionals alongside Filmbites’ Advanced and Intensive actors.
Past judges of performance in these productions at the Premiere Night have included:
- Ben Young (Director, Hounds of Love, Extinction)
- Tenille Kennedy (Producer, H is for Happiness, Three Summers, Bad Girls, The Turning)
- Maziar Lahooti (Director of Below, WINNER of 2017 West Coast Visions Funding, In Pre-Production for feature film, Winner WASA Award – Young Filmmaker of the Year)
- Fern Nicholson (Director of Nicholsons’ Academy of Screen Acting, WASA Winner Best Actress, 2013, Trained Katherine Langford, Cody Fern and Phoenix Rae).
- Annie Murtagh-Monks (Casting Director of Claremont Murders, The Heights)